Friday, January 26, 2007

Paging Dr. Tangent...

I’ve always wanted to be a scientist. Since I was young I was into robotics, RC cars, computers. I used to draft up inventions I would come up with. One of them was this remote controlled vacuum cleaner, custom fitted with bumpers and the works. I was watching this show tonight on TV, brought me right back to the realization that if I wasn’t an artist I would most likely be a scientists, and probably in the field of computers or nanotechnology. Like, who predicted the iPhone like 2 years ago? I did… Touchscreen technology? Some said it couldn’t be done. Right Gee? Well… I did. Hmmm. That might not seem like much of an accomplishment, but to me, it’s a big deal. Probably like how if george orwell was still alive he would have been like, look! Look what I told you! I was a few decades off but it’s there for all to see if you read between the lines. That’s led me to think about manifest destiny. With a thought can we really create our future?

Now I’m not trying to get too deep in this here journal, as it is only supposed to serve as an outline to my future book, but these are things clog the cognitive wheels as they churn out my thoughts. Come to think of it, I didn’t make it outside at all today. I did wake up late though, enjoying not having a clock staring at me when I struggle through the fogginess of the morning. I trust my internal clock as it’s never really failed me before. Except for that time in… ah well that’s another story isn’t it. Isn’t it? Yes it is. It was a day of fog on the mountain. So thick I could see it move from out the window. I wondered what it tasted like. I mean, on my trek up the mountain a few days ago I could taste the salt from the ocean in the air. Makes sense though, as the laws of humidity state. It was another day online and in front of the TV. I’d rather not think of it as time wasted, myspace has ensnared my lately and reaching out to people on email seems a daily routine when you’ve got internet access at home. Something that in a few days wont be the case. So my logic is to take advantage of it as much as I can before it’s too late! It’s crossed the line into Friday and in 3 more days it will be too late. I think I’m looking forward to the liberation, as there’s really only so much you can do to fight getting caught up in all the distractions of the online world. No more MSN conversations with people, no more checking my email every 2 hours, no more waiting for the wire transfer… oh yeah, I forgot, it still hasn’t arrived in my bank… But anyways, you get the idea right? So what am I to do with all this new found time on my hands? Music. That’s the mission. Writing, it will be the guiding force behind it all, there is no doubt about it. I thought about it today as I was chatting with my boy Skavenjah on MSN. He asked me how much money I was going out to Asia with. I scratched my head in disbelief when the answer came, only about $100. And I intend to be gone for how long? You know, nothing is impossible. My life is proof that you can pretty much do anything you want. At least almost all the time, and at a price of course.

So I thought about what the first month is going to be like out there in KL. I’m going to be back at Yi Kin’s place, more than an hour from the city, making music while he goes to work. I’ve got it all planned out. I’m gonna get some food to cook, stay in the house and make music. What more can you do when you don’t want to be flat broke one week into a life long journey? It’s only a matter of time before some money rolls through and I can make the next move towards financial freedom! I am the purest of optimists. That’s what people like about me I think. That and I’m a risk taker with faith in his abilities. Ladies, is that what you like? Hmmm…

So yeah, the back up plan. Every great escape artist always has one. I picked a few books out from downstairs. My mom, Christa, used to teach ESL back in the day and she probably didn’t think her resource books would ever come in handy again, unless one of the dogs suddenly became adept at another form of communication other than bark bark. You probably guessed it already. It’s something that most people think I’ve been doing all this time I’ve been traveling to Asia. Little do they really know I’ve mastered the art of being a nomad and living off the skills I’ve finely crafted. Music. So the back up plan… I got word from a friend that a university degree is not compulsory, but I would need to brush up on my grammar. 2 books, that’s my limit. I’ve done my packing list and that’s where it’s at. See, it is just a back up, I don’t want to be lugging around a complete English library when I might not even be teaching. I think I’ve found my book. We’ll see if it ever gets used. I have other back up plans you know!

Wow, I actually just went to check one of my 5 email accounts… nothing new to report yet… So as the new day begins I’m again thinking about distractions. I think I’ll take advantage of the internet before I fall asleep and watch a movie. Yup, you can do that these days… it’s called peekvid.com people, youtube is just for those with short attention spans. It’s good night from the mountain, 2 more nights to go! And tomorrow will probably be my last hockey game I’ll catch this season too… Montreal VS Toronto, classic original 6 match up!


Dr. Tangent is not an alias he’s my reality
- Vandal

No comments: